Devoted to the creation of a large Alpine Diorama in N-scale.

The theme is a fictitious town located in the central Alps.

The theme is a fictitious town located in the central Alps.
It focuses on modeling scenery: terrain, water, grass, flowers, trees, buildings, streets, lights, vehicles, people and public transportation.

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Wire Glue Really Works!

The above video is in reponse to reviewers of wire glue that said the stuff does not work.  It does work and my video proves it.

I found myself trying to solder tiny 0402 LEDs in-place on plastic.  The 402's are so small I needed a magnifying glass just to see the nodes.  Problem was the heat from the iron was mis-forming the plastic the LED's were set in.  I needed something without heat... I needed wire glue?!

A quick google search turned up wire glue... a greenish-black graphite based soupy liquid.  I wasn't sure if it really worked.  I read as many reviews on wire glue as I could find.  I few users said they had success with it, but there were also the bellowers... the ones thay cried how they bought it and it just did not work, or that it was not glue at all and their wirng fell apart.  Like anything else, you just have to try it for yourself.  So I bought some "Wire Glue" in a small bottle from on-line and also bought some in a tube from Radio Shack.

Fact is... both brands worked for me.  The Radio Shack brand was a little soupier/watery that the Wire Glue brand; and I like the ability to open the Wire Glue bottle and stir the glue as opposed to the tiny Radio Shack tube.   I followed the directions, used small dots of it to make connections on low voltage electronics and honestly I was overjoyed at how well the stuff worked.  I never had a connection fail.   The big plus was that the product saved my electronic project.  Oh there is a few extra steps like taping wires in-place until the wire glue dries.  But honestly, I was happy I did not have to fight a HOT soldering iron to connect wires to 32 tiny 402 LED's. Oh and FYI, some folks said the wire glue crumbled after it dried, but I found the stuff to be rock hard and difficult to scrape away with a hobby knife.  If I had to remove a wire after the glue dried then the 38 guage wire broke before the glue gave-way.  Plus, if the idiots would just read the makers suggestion of using epoxy over the wire glue joint, then the joint will hold till after they are dead and buried.